Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Homemade Flour Tortillas

I love making these flour tortillas since it's really simple and easy and requires basic food staples that can be easily found in the pantry. It doesn't require any time to rise which is great for me since I hate waiting. The only drawback I face when I make them is the rolling process, which can be pretty tiring to the arms. But the final results turn out great and delicious when used as a wrap. I'll have to be honest and mention that these don't turn out the same every time. The first time I tried out this recipe they turned out soft and beautiful. The second time I tried it, they turned out crisp and crunchy. The third time was sort of in the middle. Isn't that funny? I mean, how can turn they out perfect on the first try and not so perfect on the others? My theory is that, maybe just maybe I rolled them out a little too much on the thin side the other 2 times I made them. I think they need to be about 1/4" thick in order to achieve a softer texture. The taste turns out delicious and very close like the tortillas that are available in supermarkets. I'll see what happens the next time I try to make them again and post an update to this recipe.



Ingredients:

Flour 3 1/2 cups
Salt 1 t.s.
Baking Flour 1/2 t.s.
Vegetable Oil 3.5 oz. (7 TB)
Hot Water 1 cup

Mix all the ingredients together and knead for approximately 3 minutes. Let sit covered for 15 minutes. Separate into small portions. Shape each portion into a ball and lay onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let it sit for 5 minutes. Press out each ball with a roller on a lightly floured surface until a circle forms. Bake on a griddle pan till golden.

Notes:
I usually use a bowl or plate to in order to achieve perfectly shaped circles.

No comments:

Post a Comment