Monday, October 29, 2012

Crayon Meltings

This is a very easy and simple project to do with your kids. It's a great process to do and very handy for those broken crayons laying around. All you have to do is just gather those crayons, tear off the wrappings, place into muffin cups lined with muffin sheets. Bake in an oven until melted, let cool, remove from muffin paper and color! Now I did this the hard and extremely messy way by chopping up the crayons into smaller pieces. I don't recommend doing this, but the reason why I did it was to have more colors in more cups. Doing this I noticed that when baking them, the smaller chunks would melt more quickly than the bigger chunks. I thought this left a really cool and interesting effect on the crayons. Some of them would have some texture to them, while others were smooth. I found that upcycling crayons is very good for little grasping toddler hands like my son "Green". Since he's new to holding pencils and normal crayons which tend to break and snap, using this shape is easier to grasp. It's good for practicing fine motor skills. The kids wanted to make some rainbow crayons and some solid color crayons, so these are what we came up with.




No comments:

Post a Comment